British International School - Uppsala
A Brief Introduction
British International School-Uppsala (BISU) is a STEAM co-educational international school providing world-class programs and facilities to a culturally diverse student community aged 3 to 18 years old. BIS- Uppsala is a non-selective School and does not require children to take an entrance test. BISU is an inclusive School and welcomes applications to our school all year round from students of all abilities. BISU is the only international school in Uppsala.
The education at our school is carried out under the supervision of the Swedish School Inspectorate (Sw. Skolinspektionen) and is performed in accordance with the standards set out in the Swedish Education Act and other applicable Swedish regulations on International Schools. To be considered for admission by BISU, students must have an international connection and fulfil any of the following requirements:
1. The student is a resident in Sweden for a limited period; or
2. The student has attended school abroad for a major part of their education and therefore have a reason to fulfil his/her education in an international school in Sweden; or
3. The student is currently living in Sweden but is planning to leave Sweden for a longer period; or
4. The student speaks the language of the school daily with one or both parents/caretakers and has sufficient language skills to participate in the education.
Admission of Students with Additional Educational Needs (AEN)
The BISU will accept students with additional educational needs if the school can support and provide a meaningful education for them. Parents are required to inform the school, when making an application, of any known and pre-existing Additional Educational Need including physical or medical needs that may affect the school’s ability to provide a safe and appropriate educational experience for the student. Failure to provide such information may result in any offer of a place being withdrawn before entry. If such issues are disclosed after entry to the school, it may result in the immediate termination of the contract between the school and the family.
Step-by-Step Admissions Process
STEP 1 – Online Application
Parents are asked to make a formal application by completing the Admissions Form on the school website. To submit your application, you will be asked to pay an application fee of 2,500 SEK per child.This fee is:
- Refundable if the school does not offer the student a place. Unless, the child’s registration is carried forward to the following academic year.
- Non-refundable if the school offers the student a place but the student chooses not to take it.
- Not deductible from the total tuition fees to be paid if the student is offered and accepts a place.
STEP 2 – Complete your documentation
Upload copies of your child’s admissions documents to the final page of your online application. Please note that all submitted documents must be in English. If documents require translation, they must be stamped and signed as official, legal translations.
Documents to be submitted at initial registration stage
- copy of the Student’s Passport
- Copy of the parent’s/guardian’s passports, in separate files. Note: If you are a diplomatic family, we also require a copy of your visas.
- Student’s last two years of school reports (nursery reports for EC applicants)
- Full details of any previously identified special educational needs including individual education plans (IEPs), educational psychologist or other therapist reports (only applicable for students with learning support needs)
- Copy of the applicant’s immunization/vaccination record.
Documents to be submitted once a student has been enrolled
- Student’s Sweden ID card
- Previous school’s Transfer Certificate
STEP 3 –Assessment
Once all required documents have been submitted, The Admissions Office will review each completed application (including all documentation listed above), the application is shared with the Head of School for review of the submitted academic records, and a provisional acceptance can potentially be granted in advance of an assessment.
STEP 4 – Review
The application is sent to the Head of School for review, with a 24-hour turnaround time.
STEP 5 – Admissions
The admissions team will contact you with an update on your child’s admissions verdict. Possible admissions outcomes include the following:
- Full acceptance
- Provisional acceptance
- Denied Admission.
Please note that if a student is granted acceptance, an enrolment fee is payable after the student has been offered a place and parents have accepted the offer. Please note, this is a non-refundable fee. To view our school fee & payment conditions please click here.me