British International School Uppsala (BISU)
Welcome to BISU
Choosing the right school is one of the most important decisions you will ever make, so we make it our priority to ensure your admissions experience is friendly and tailored to your specific requirements. Please do contact us to find out more about what BISU can offer your child.
We welcome families and students from every stage of their education to be a part of our learning community. Our dedicated admissions team will ensure a smooth and easy admissions process for you as per your requirements.
Our Admissions Policy
Thank you for considering the British International School for your children. We understand the importance of finding the right school for your child or children, so we want to help your decision making process be an easy and positive experience!
Book a Private Tour
British International School, Uppsala (BISU)
A Warm Welcome From Our Admissions Team
Step-by-Step Admissions Process
Parents are asked to make a formal application by completing the Admissions Form on the school website. To submit your application, you will be asked to pay an application fee of 5,000 SEK per child. This fee is:
- Refundable if the school does not offer the student a place. Unless, the child’s registration is carried forward to the following academic year.
- Non-refundable if the school offers the student a place but the student chooses not to take it.
- Not deductible from the total tuition fees to be paid if the student is offered and accepts a place.
Upload copies of your child’s admissions documents to the final page of your online application. Please note that all submitted documents must be in English. If documents require translation, they must be stamped and signed as official, legal translations.
Documents to be submitted at initial registration stage
- Copy of the student’s passport
- Copy of the parent’s/guardian’s passports, in separate files. Note: If you are a diplomatic family, we also require a copy of your visas.
- Student’s last two years of school reports (nursery reports for EC applicants)
- Full details of any previously identified special educational needs including individual education plans (IEPs), educational psychologist or other therapist reports (only applicable for students with learning support needs)
- Copy of the applicant’s immunization/vaccination record.
Documents to be submitted once a student has been enrolled
- Student’s Sweden ID card
- Previous school’s Transfer Certificate
Once all required documents have been submitted, The Admissions Office will review each completed application (including all documentation listed above), the application is shared with the Head of School for review of the submitted academic records, and a provisional acceptance can potentially be granted in advance of an assessment.
The Admissions team will contact you via email with an update on your child’s admissions decision. Possible admissions outcomes include the following:
- Full acceptance
- Provisional acceptance
- Denied Admission.
Please note that if a student is granted acceptance, an enrolment fee is payable after the student has been offered a place and parents have accepted the offer. Please note, this is a non-refundable fee. To view our school fee & payment conditions please click here.
BISU accepts only:
- Students who are resident in Sweden for a confirmed limited period of time.
- Students who have attended school abroad for a major part of their education and therefore have a reason to fulfil his/her education in an International School in Sweden.
- Students who are currently living in Sweden but are planning to leave Sweden for a longer period of time.
- Students who speak the language of the school daily with one or both parents/caretakers and have sufficient language skills to participate in the education.
The BISU will accept students with additional educational needs if the school can support and provide a meaningful education for them. Parents are required to inform the school, when making an application, of any known and pre-existing Additional Educational Need including physical or medical needs that may affect the school’s ability to provide a safe and appropriate educational experience for the student. Failure to provide such information may result in any offer of a place being withdrawn before entry. If such issues are disclosed after entry to the school, it may result in the immediate termination of the contract between the school and the family.
Our policy is to place students in their age-appropriate grade level. We also take into consideration a student’s previous school experience. This is done on a case by case basis looking at formal years of schooling rather than ability in subject areas. We do not have an entrance test but assess students in their initial weeks on a range of measures to ensure they are fitting in to the programme. August 31st determines the student’s grade level.
Please read our BISU School Admissions policy to make sure you are aware of all admissions criteria.
The Government Subsidy does not cover the school’s Fee. The British International School is entitled to subsidies from Swedish municipalities for students in grades 1-12. However, your child must have a Swedish Personal Number [personnummer] before starting at British International School. This is required for the School to receive municipality funding for your child’s place.
If the Swedish Personal Number is not obtained (or if the relevant municipality does not agree to fund the place) then your place at the school will be withdrawn and you will be personally liable for costs incurred by the school. If you are not correctly registered at the Tax Office, with a residential address in Sweden, you will also be personally liable for costs incurred by the School and your place will be withdrawn.
At The BISU, we are an inclusive non-selective school and welcome applications to our school all year round from students of all abilities. We currently have availability in all year groups.
Start Your Journey
We are excited to share with you what our school has to offer and look forward to meeting your family. Please fill out the admissions form below to start your BISU journey!
You can contact the Admissions Team in the following ways to discuss any questions you have about The BISU and the Admissions process.
Applying for a Place at the BISU
The BISU Admissions Team is here to support and guide you during your child’s next learning journey. We are excited and enthusiastic about each and every enquiry and application, and view each one as our priority.